Thursday, June 4, 2020

Update from the veg patch

Being on the side of a hill and 300 metres above sea level, I never plant much in the veg patch before 1st of May and in light of the late frosts this year it was a wise decision. Despite having kept a veg patch in one form or another for the last twenty plus years, I still count myself as a very amateur gardener; but whether it be by luck or judgement I usually manage to grow some veg for the kitchen and enjoy the challenge of trying to use up as much of this as I can to feed the family. 
This last few weeks I've planted up most of the raised beds with plants started off from seed in the potting shed and also with some seeds sown directly. We have now eaten all of last years leeks and the overwintered purple sprouting broccoli which has served us well this Spring.  I'm pleased that the strawberries, gooseberries and black currants are all looking promising and the rhubarb has given us a few crumbles already. 
So now after a long, dry and sunny spell the rain arrived yesterday and has for now at least given me a respite from all the watering.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment